The NYSUT Member Benefits Corporation-endorsed Pet Insurance program from Nationwide®
(formerly known as VPI Pet Insurance) offers a variety of coverage options for dogs, cats, birds, and exotic pets.
Nationwide has served as the largest and most recommended pet insurance plan in the U.S. since 1982. It currently has nearly 500,000 policies in place and occupies 61%* of the pet insurance market.
Pets under the age of 10 are eligible for coverage, and medical plans provide benefits for accidents and illnesses -- ranging from ear infections to cancer. Optional Pet Wellness plans provide benefits for preventive care such as routine exams, vaccinations and blood work.
NYSUT members receive a 5% group discount on the base medical plan and up to a 15% discount** if multiple pets in a household are enrolled
. Payment options include direct bill through your checking account or credit card.
2 Easy Ways to Learn More:
1. Call a dedicated Nationwide phone number for NYSUT members toll-free at 866-838-3461, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. (EST).
2. Visit the Pet Insurance from Nationwide website (this site has been specifically designed for NYSUT members).
Claim Submission Process
Nationwide offers an easy, three-step claim submission process with a prompt turnaround for the majority of reimbursements:
1. Simply pay for your pet's medical treatment at the time of service.
2. Send the one-page claim form along with your receipts to Nationwide.
3. After meeting your policy's deductible, your eligible expenses will be reimbursed.
*Packaged Facts, November 2010
**Rate discounts apply to the base medical plan only and are calculated as follows: In addition to 5% group discount, pet owners will receive 5% multiple pet discounts by insuring two to three pets or a 10% discount on each policy for four or more pets.
Pet Insurance from Nationwide is a NYSUT Member Benefits Corporation (Member Benefits)-endorsed program. Member Benefits has an endorsement arrangement of 5% of adjusted gross premium for this program. All such payments to Member Benefits are used solely to defray the costs of administering its various programs and, where appropriate, to enhance them. Member Benefits acts as your advocate; please contact Member Benefits at 800-626-8101 if you experience a problem with any endorsed program.
Agency fee payers to NYSUT are eligible to participate in NYSUT Member Benefits-endorsed programs.